As the NFL season kicks off, teams are making big moves and finalizing preparations for their opening games. Here's a roundup of some key updates leading into the first Sunday of Week 1.
1. Bengals Secure Joe Burrow's Future
- The Cincinnati Bengals have locked in their franchise quarterback, Joe Burrow, with a contract extension that stretches through the 2029 season. This monumental deal is worth a staggering $275 million, setting a new record. Burrow's guaranteed money eclipses any previous Bengals contract, totaling $6 million more than the top 11 extensions and free-agent guarantees the team has ever given out.
2. Saints Extend Cesar Ruiz
- In a somewhat surprising move, the New Orleans Saints have decided to extend offensive lineman Cesar Ruiz. Despite a rocky start as a guard, the Saints are rewarding his progress with a four-year contract extension worth a maximum of $44 million, including $30 million guaranteed. This extension comes after initially declining his fifth-year option.
3. Giants Secure Graham Gano
The New York Giants have secured their kicker, Graham Gano, with a contract extension that adds three additional years for $16.5 million. Over $11.30 million of this deal is fully guaranteed, with additional injury guarantees totaling nearly $2 million.
4. 49ers Extend Nick Bosa
- The San Francisco 49ers have officially signed reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Nick Bosa, to a five-year extension running through the 2028 season. This move solidifies Bosa's future with the team and maintains their strong defensive presence.
Injuries and Game Status Updates
- Unfortunately, injuries are part of the game, and several players will be sidelined or questionable for Week 1.
- Washington's Chase Young will miss their home opener and is expected to be out until at least Week 3 with a neck injury.
- Various other players, including D.J. Chark, Jeff Okudah, and Cooper Kupp, will also be sidelined.
- Some good news for the Browns as Denzel Ward clears the concussion protocol and will face the Bengals.
- Ravens' WR Odell Beckham Jr. is dealing with an ankle issue, and his status remains uncertain.
- In a heartwarming gesture, former Saints' safety Steve Gleason and former Titans' linebacker Tim Shaw, both battling ALS, will serve as honorary team captains for Sunday's opener. Their inspirational stories aim to raise awareness and find a cure for this devastating disease.
As the NFL season kicks off and fans are gearing up for their new favorite day of the week, we hope these updates will help you set your fantasy lineups and win some arguments about which teams will win on Sunday. This will be an exciting first week as story lines abound! Check out our matchup previews on www.mtmvpn.com !