The NFL proudly unveiled the 2023 Don Shula High School Coach of the Year Award nominees, a distinguished accolade honoring exceptional high school football coaches from each of the 32 NFL teams. These nominees epitomize excellence in coaching at the high school level, embodying the values and principles exemplified by the legendary Pro Football Hall of Famer, Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history.
The esteemed award acknowledges coaches recognized by their respective NFL clubs for their outstanding achievements in character, integrity, leadership, dedication to the community, commitment to player health and safety, and on-field success. Roman Oben, Vice President of Football Development, enthusiastically celebrated these nominees, stating, “All 32 represent the integrity, commitment, and character of Coach Don Shula.”
High school football coaches play a pivotal role in shaping the lives of young athletes both on and off the field, serving as leaders and role models. The NFL acknowledges these exemplary individuals annually, recognizing their significant contributions to the sport.
The NFL will honor one winner from each conference, AFC and NFC, representing the regions near NFL clubs. These two deserving recipients will be invited to the 2024 Pro Bowl Games in Orlando, Florida, on Feb. 4. Special recognition awaits them during the NFL's week-long celebration of football, offering VIP access, accommodations, and the opportunity to engage with various members of the football community.
Teaming up with Nike, the NFL Foundation will provide the two winners a $15,000 award for their high school football programs and an additional $10,000 cash award. The other 30 club nominees will each receive a $1,000 cash award. The two winners will also be special guests at Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas.
The Don Shula Award winners will be revealed in the week preceding the 2024 Pro Bowl Games. The announcement will be televised on Sunday, Feb. 4, from 3-6 p.m. ET on ESPN, ABC, Disney XD, ESPN+, and ESPN Deportes. The winners will further grace the red carpet at NFL Honors, a two-hour national primetime awards special on Thursday, Feb. 8, at 9 p.m. ET on CBS.
The Don Shula NFL High School Coach of the Year winners will be selected by an esteemed panel of individuals, including:
- 2022 Don Shula NFL Coach of the Year Award AFC Winner Clive Harding
- 2022 Don Shula NFL Coach of the Year Award NFC Winner Matthew Gallagher
- NFL analyst and former front office executive Scott Pioli
- Pro Football Hall of Famer and current ESPN contributor Peyton Manning
- Pro Football Hall of Fame coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy
- Executive Director of USA Football Scott Hallenbeck
- Former All-Pro cornerback & NFL consultant Bobby Taylor
- NFL Legend and NFL Network analyst Michael Robinson
- Aplington-Parkersburg High School Principal Aaron Thomas, son of the school's late football coach Ed Thomas
- NFL Legend, former NFL head coach, and son of the late Coach Shula Dave Shula
- Nike Brand Director of Grass Roots and Team Scott Henson
The 2023 Don Shula High School Coach of the Year Award stands as a testament to the enduring legacy of Coach Don Shula, celebrating coaches who inspire and shape the future of football at the high school level.
This is Dez Barnes of Pretty Girls Love Sports, a journalist on the MTMV Sports platform. She is a retired US Army veteran, professional cheerleader, pet mom, and avid sports lover. Feel free to follow her writings as she dives into the latest sports news! You can find her on all social media channels @PGLOVESPORTS.